Speech-Language Pathology is:
- A service to help children/youth with speech, language and communication delays and disorders.
- A service provided by registered Speech-Language Pathologists and Communicative Disorder Assistants who are dedicated to assisting each child to achieve their maximum potential in communication skills.
- A service that can assist if you have concerns for your child in some of the following areas:
- Understanding or using vocabulary or grammar
- Following directions
- Using language purposefully: greeting others, naming items, asking questions
- Pre-language and interaction skills such as taking turns; imitating actions and sounds
- Limited speech or difficult to understand: articulation or sound production difficulty
- Hoarse, breathy or nasal voice quality
- Smoothness of speech: Stuttering
- Feeding or swallowing
Speech-language Services include:
- Assessment, Treatment and consultation to children, youth and their families
- Direct individual and group therapy sessions
- Interdisciplinary team work
- Consultation and training workshops for parents, caregivers, day care staff, teachers.
- Home programs so parents and caregivers can support goals in everyday environment
Referral to Speech-language services:
- Call: One Kids Place: 1-866-626-9100 You will be given a date and time for a full intake from OKP Central Intake service
- Online: Download the Referral Form and mail or fax to One Kids Place
- Third party referrals with parent/guardian permission are accepted
Speech and Language PROGRAM ELIGIBILITY
- Children who reside within the Districts of Muskoka, Nipissing, Timiskaming and Parry Sound
- Children 0 to 5:10 or SK entry for pre-school speech and language supports
- Children/youth aged 0-19 with multiple needs and require specialized service such as feeding or augmentative communication support.
- One Kids Place is the provider of School Therapy Services through the North East Community Care Access Centre (NECCAC) for the Districts of Nipissing and Parry Sound (see School Therapy Services)